Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Sierra on finding the love in MND


Finding the Love in MND (Sierra Miranda)

Louis Rhead. A Midsummer Night's Dream, Helena pursues Demetrius. Folger Shakespeare Library. (not after 1918)

Helena and Demetrius (2.1.188-244) 

In Act 2 Scene 1, Helena voices her unrequited love for Demetrius who loves Hermia. Demetrius continuously tells Helena that he does not want her, but Helena chooses to chase him. I have listed a few quotes from this scene.

I am your spaniel, and, Demetrius
The more you beat, me, I will fawn on you:
Use me but as your spaniel, spurn me, strike me,
Neglect me, lose me; only give me leave,
Unworthy as I am, to follow you. 
What worser place can I beg in your love,--
And yet a place of high respect with me, --
Than to be used as your use your dog” (2.1.203-210).

It is not night when I do see your face.
Therefore I think I am not in the night,
Nor doth this wood lack worlds of company,
For you in my respect are all the world” (2.1.221-224)

It seems as though Helena is so overcome with her love for Demetrius that she would take maltreatment to continue on with him. This reminds me of the current concept that humans want what they cannot have. Demetrius makes it clear that she is not who he wants, but that has no effect on Helena’s feelings towards him. In today’s terms, Helena is desperate, thirsty, annoying, etc.

https://supernaturaldesharnia.weebly.com/helena--demetrius.html

No comments:

Post a Comment