Here is your midterm. Please type and send in email to the usual spot. This should be about 4-5 pp. Due 9 a.m. via email on Friday, 2 June. Early papers will be looked on with great favor. Late papers: 0.
Below, you'll see several passages from AYL and TN that your classmates chose for analysis.
Choose four (4) of the following and write a good, unified, solid paragraph on each.
What I want you to do is to relate the chosen passage to the OTHER play 🔃.
That is, if you pick a section from TN, relate it to AYL, NOT to TN.
Understand? Make sense? If not, let me know.
You can do it!
Be as specific as possible by relating the quotation your classmate chose to a specific line or lines in the other play. It would not hurt you to look at the Analytical Writing handout on my Writing Papers webpage:
When quoting Shakespeare, it's best to use (act.scene.lines) in Arabic numerals.
1. C: Let us sit and mock the good housewife Fortune from her wheel, that her gifts may henceforth be bestowed equally.
R: I would we could do so, for her benefits are mightily misplaced, and the bountiful blind woman doth most mistake in her gifts to women. (AYL 1.2)
2. If their purgation did consist in words,
They are as innocent as grace itself.
Let it suffice thee that I trust thee not. (AYL 1.3.48-50)
3. Nothing that is so, is so. (TN 4.1)
4. Sweet are the uses of adversity,
Which, like the toad, ugly and venomous,
Wears yet a precious jewel in his head (AYL 2.1.12-14)
5. there is no love-broker in the world can more prevail in man's commendation with woman than report of valor. (TN 3.2)
6. My desire, more sharp than filed steel, did spur me forth. (TN 3.3.4-5)
7. Some are born great; some achieve greatness; and some have greatness thrust upon them. (TN 3.4)
8. Yet fortune cannot recompense me better
Than to die well and not my master’s debtor. (AYL 2.3.75-76)
9. WILD CARD: relate this pair of lines to BOTH PLAYS.
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks
But bears it out even to the edge of doom. (Son. 116.11-12)